Make sure the skylights don’t leak after installation
Skylights are indeed a great thing, bringing all that light in a room. But you have to be very careful when you install them. You have to know how to deal with the shingles on the roof.
1. The first step in the process is to decide where you want to install the skylight. When you have a location, you have to prepare that location. You have to remove all the shingles in that area and around it. You can use a pry bar in the process.
2. Draw the outline of the skylight that you want to install. Draw it very carefully because after you finish you have to cut a hole in the roof, using a circular saw.
3. Now take the skylight and place it in its hole. Insert screws to secure the skylight to the decking.
4. Calculate what the size of the area around the skylight is so that you can cut in the shingles so they fit back on the roof.
5. Next, cover the lip of the skylight completely with roofing tar. Avoid the raised portion. Apply only on the lip.
6. Pour roofing tar on the roof where you want to place the shingles. Now you can replace the shingles without having any damage on the seal, because you applied the roofing tar.